Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Someone left a donut on my battery

The title sounds better if you sing it to the tune of "Grandma got run over by a reindeer!"

As I popped the hood on Bruce the Baja today to make sure that my bug (i.e., windshield wiper) juice dispenser was full, I was surprised to find a partially nibbled upon donut on top of the battery.  Maybe it was a bagel, it was pretty nibbled upon, but the circular shape and the hole in the middle made it fairly recognizable.

I have heard that cats can get inside the engine compartment of many cars and trucks, but the nibbles were so small that I assume this piece of carbohydrate joy was dragged into my car by a hungry little mouse or squirrel, maybe even a vole!

I was about to leave for an appointment, so I didn't take a picture of the offending time before removing it from the battery.  I assume that was the location they chose to store the item because it is nice and flat.

But why didn't they finish the munching, I started to wonder.....


  • did the item become distasteful because of some leaking battery acid?
  • did the little rodent become forgetful about where it left its comestibles?
It had been a very warm fall, so it is possible that there were so many food options that the little bugger found some more tasty options, like my lily bulbs, for instance.

I can say from a very scary and pukey experience several years ago, that lily bulbs, while they may LOOK a lot like wild onions (especially when someone has mown over the bulk of the original foliage.....), should not be consumed, EVER!  [I will have to check and see if I already wrote about that episode in another blog.  If I haven't, that is a good weekend project for me to document.]



No comments:

Post a Comment