Saturday, December 8, 2012

Fear and loathing in the Capitol

I love our nation's Capitol.

I love politics.

Unfortunately for us, politicians are humans, and there are some of them who just don't act very nicely...... especially these last few years in the USA.

[borrowed from http://aoc.gov/sites/default/files/styles/artwork-node/public/images/buildings/6345373408_e4f8fb2728_o_0.jpg]
I was having a long teleconference on tuesday with two colleagues from work.  We were discussion a contentious topic that really makes my blood boil.  At one point I blurted out something along the lines of, "unfortunately for us, we have to deal with humans who will not always tell the truth.  In fact, it is in their interest to lie in certain situations."  I have been in some interesting diplomatic negotiations where you KNOW that the person on the other side of the table is stretching [actually, tearing apart] the truth, but you have to sit there politely and keep your mouth shut.

For me, that is NEARLY impossible.  It helps when you are conducting the negotiations with non-simultaneous translation, because you have time to think of the right way to say, "uh uh!" in a much more graceful manner that doesn't cause an international incident.

I believe that the gentleman whose statue is shown in the picture above, good ole General George, would have been very disgusted with the way that our elected officials in the two houses of Congress are not getting along very well.  We sent them there to do good things on our behalf, but they spend WAY too much time making people worry about made up stuff.

They want us to fear some sort of fiscal cliff, they want us to worry about the future of social security, and one of the minority leaders spent the last four years devoting himself to trying to unseat the president.  Why was he focusing on that, rather than representing the people of his state, and doing things that need to be done?

I know the answer, and it makes me so annoyed that I am going to stop blogging right now and get some breakfast.

Have a great weekend everyone, and try not to be so fearful!


No comments:

Post a Comment