Saturday, December 24, 2011

Chicken Bones and Cigarette Stubs: Neither Are Garbage?

Lots of folks doing last minute shopping this afternoon* before all the stores close on Christmas Eve.  Traffic was very slow all over the 5 mile radius of our house where I ventured today.

[*I got caught up with cooking and did not manage to post this blog the same day the incident occurred, but wanted to leave it in present tense.]

borrowed from http://www.chiropractic-help.com/images/chicken-bones.jpg


I followed one older small sedan for a few miles, and I noticed them throwing small items out of the driver's side window periodically.  The first thing that flew out, I assumed was a cigarette butt, as people don't often consider them garbage (one of those great mysteries I don't understand...  maybe it has something to do with not being a smoker).

It seemed rather larger than your normal cigarette butt, and it did not have the nice glowing ember aspect they normally have.  A few blocks later, something else flew out the window, which I thought might be a crumpled up dollar bill (and yes, I thought about pulling over, but there were several cars behind me, and as Michiganders tend to tail gate relentlessly, that did not seem like the best idea.)

At the next stop light, I was now close enough to see what the projectile thrown out of the window actually was:  a chicken bone.

This person was driving around, by themselves, eating chicken and throwing the bones out into the street.  This is wrong on SO MANY levels.

First of all, chicken is something to be shared, not eaten all alone.  [our cats will attest to that truism]

Secondly, we have too many smushed squirrels and pigeons in the street already, we don't need to encourage small hungry critters to dash into the road for a chicken tidbit.

And finally, even though my husband says I should not be everyone's moral policewoman, I will continue to do it anyway!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment