Friday, August 13, 2010

Interesting things I am learning about fresh water

I have been working at my new job for about a month now.  Detroit has a much different landscape than Juneau, and the water just doesn't look or smell the same.  I am one of those strange people who actually likes the smell of low tide.  There are a lot of different smells one can experience along the waterfront, but none are the salty, tide pool inspired smell that I crave.

However, there are lots of wrecks in the great lakes, and they don't deteriorate as quickly as ones exposed to salt water.  The ice and winter storms do wreak havoc with these unfortunate ships, and the link below shows what my guys were working on recently:


German freighter gets new attention 44 years after sinking in Lake Huron


http://www.uscgd9.blogspot.com/






(The flange where peanut-sized drops of oil had been escaping. Photo courtesy of NOAA)


The weeds in the water are entirely different, and the most plentiful mollusks are the invaders that have made the water much clearer, but have also eaten up all the microorganisms that lots of native fish need to survive.

I think I may have nightmares about zebra mussels tonite.......




No comments:

Post a Comment