Sunday, August 29, 2010

Asian Carp: The Awful Truth

borrowed from Detroit Business Law (www.detroitbusinesslaw.com)



Someone asked me on Friday why keeping the Asian Carp out of the great lakes is such a big issue.  "Why don't they just close the locks?" he said.  I rubbed my thumb against my index and middle finger (the American hand signal for money) and matter-of-factly said, "they won't do that, because it will slow down commerce, and that's going to cost people money."

Engineers are smart enough to make the Chicago River flow in a different direction than mother nature intended, but they won't be able to win a victory over the carp because they are not willing to close the locks and slow down the delivery of goods.

They are quite a handsome species of fish, I think, and they are also very good jumpers.  There are tons of youtube videos that bear this out, but I chose this one -  carp video
No wonder one of their nicknames is "flying carp".

No comments:

Post a Comment