Sunday, October 14, 2012

Giant scary eyeballs!!!

Just in time for Halloween,there is a great story in the news this week about a HUGE eyeball that washed ashore near Pompano Beach, FL.

They have not tested it yet to determine what creature lost it, but I am voting for the giant squid.  I think it is more likely to belong to a whale, but it is eerie how much like a human eye this thing looks.  You can read one of the stories here.

[borrowed from http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/10/12/giant_eyeball_found_on_pompano_beach_squid_whale_mystery.html]
I read a few of the stories on this today, and some folks are speculating that the eye might have come from a fish, but they mentioned that squid often have their eyes pop out.

Yikes!  OFTEN have their eyes pop out......  I guess that is a bad side effect from not having a nice hard skeleton.  Sure they have a lot of legs, a yummy diet of seafood and get to swim around in the nice warm waters off of Florida, but that would stink to have your eye just POP OUT!!!  

I checked down in the saltwater aquarium in the basement to make sure that everyone had their eyes, and we seem to be good on that account.  Unless the person holding the eye has incredibly small hands, it could not have been any of my salty friends.  The biggest eye I saw was on the clownfish, and that is maybe 3 mm in diameter.

I will make another post when the Florida Fish and Wildlife folks decided what animal lost this......


No comments:

Post a Comment