Saturday, June 23, 2012

Freshwater species propagation

It is a good thing I am getting ready to retire, because I may be propagating invasive species in two of our aquatic environments.  If you look a few blogs back, you will be able to read the story of the unintended invasive purchase I made at a local pet shop.

Last weekend I informed the pet shop manager about the invasiveness of the cute little snails, and he seemed honestly horrified.  Since the little buggers are not illegal in Michigan, I went ahead and bought another one of these snails because I am just fascinated with them.  This snail I named Scar (or S-car) based on the recommendation of a goofy friend who thought it would be fun to be able to say, "Look at that S-car GO!"  I couldn't resist.....


borrowed from http://www.tacomalakes.org/images/831_Mystery_Snail.jpg


The day after I made that purchase, I noticed another snail in the Fluval Edge aquarium.  It did not really resemble the trapdoor guys in terms of shell shape, so it is possible that it was a stow away on one of the aquatic plants that are also in that aquarium.

Later this week I found some even smaller snails, about the size of a nail head, in that same environment.  UH OH!!!

I have no idea what sex Pat and Scar are, and it is possible that one of them was harboring the little ones way before it came to our house, but you never know.

Please check back for snail gestational updates in the coming months!

1 comment:

  1. It is official. One of the mystery snails has been popping out progeny. Have not seen them being birthed, just find them later climbing on the walls of the aquarium or munching on the leaves of the plants. Eek!

    I will have to be very careful about water changes from now on......

    ReplyDelete