Saturday, February 20, 2010

Blockheads Unite!


Those of you who know me well, or even not so well, realize that I would never consider myself a fashion maven, but REALLY, this is their uniform choice?!?  I am not making fun of curling as a sport (even though I am STILL STEAMED that the International Olympic Committee has gotten rid of softball), nor am I making fun of Norwegians (since I am 25% blockhead - I know there are those of you who might think that percentage is a little low..., but I'm just going with heritage, not general temperament).  My beef is that they are making themselves much less credible as athletes by attiring themselves this way.  

And yes, for all you NASCAR fans, I DO NOT consider race car drivers athletes.  I am sure we could have that debate for hours, so feel free to post some comments if you wish to engage in a discussion on that topic.

Maybe they should have had a little fashion discussion with the snowboard team before they chose their uniforms.  I am not a fan of the pants hanging down so you can see someone's boxer shorts, but something a bit more stylish than Norwegian flag checkerboard motif, PLEASE?  I have never curled myself (unless you count those unfortunate encounters with a curling iron in the 80s) but they do a lot of stretching and throwing (OK, sliding) those big old stones.  Those things look heavier than bowling balls, so I sure hope they have some nice wheeled luggage to transport them around Vancouver.

While I am ranting about the olympics, I really enjoy the snowboard events, but was it necessary to have that giant big screen TV behind the half pipe competitors showing their glamour shots?  I didn't get to see the Flying Tomato win, but when I was watching the women, it really annoyed me to see the glitzy video clips flashing behind them.  Isn't the event interesting enough?  Do the fans have to be entertained by video before the women start their runs?  Is this a sport, or another marketing opportunity?

OK, that was one of those stupid questions.......

Maybe that's it, someone gave the Norge curlers a big bag of money to wear those pants!!!  Or maybe that is what constitutes style in the Norwegian curling scene.  Anyone who knows the answer, please let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment