Monday, October 12, 2009

There's always next year....


Sadly, my Red Sox didn't have the stuff this October to pull out another come from behind win during the playoffs. They played OK, but there were some costly errors and not enough hitting at the right time. So I find myself using the old Cubs phrase, "There's always next year," when referring to the post season of 2009.

Currently, I am watching the Rockies try to come from behind to pull out another win to force the series back to Philly for game 5, but it isn't looking that good for the men from Colorado. One of my Boston friends said that she was going to shift her allegiance to Philly now, which I think is because she got her PhD there. I supposed that is all right, but unless it is one of my favorite teams, I prefer not to see people repeat. I like to spread the wealth around by rooting for the underdog (when my teams have been eliminated).

I guess that's why I like the revenue sharing that the NFL does, rather than the Rich Team, Poor Team method that MLB employs. It just doesn't seem fair that there are more than 2 dozen World Series trophies in that new Yankee Stadium, and other teams haven't even gotten one. All those trophies were earned after 1922, and since the Steinbrenner era, they are financed mostly by television revenues.

Not that I have anything against television, but in baseball the large market teams have such a great advantage over the Milwaukee and Pittsburgh teams, for example, that it doesn't seem right. Not to mention the fact that I cannot see any Red Sox games without paying thru the nose, unless they are broadcast on a national channel. It is just wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment